Friday, November 1, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 Has Begun!

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) kicked off today and I'm excited to announce that I am an active participant this year! As my first completed middle grade novel seeks an agent, my November will be filled with words, words, and more words. Hence: I am working on my second MG novel. I couldn't be more excited!

For those who are not familiar with the organization, NaNoWriMo is a community dedicated to helping writers start and complete a full-length novel (approx. 50,000 words) by the end of November. For myself, since I'm writing a middle grade novel, my word count will be around 30,000 words or so. The aim for any writer, though, is to ensure you write everyday. And no editing! A useful tip for any writer is to not find yourself married to your first draft words, otherwise it will make it that much harder to edit and kill your darlings.

I can't give too many details on what it's about yet but I will divulge that the viewpoint is from a male protagonist. The working title is: Dexter Fremont and the Blackmail Bailout.

Though I may not submit my writing through the NaNoWriMo website, I have added a word count tracker to my homepage so everyone can follow along in my journey to completing the book.

Each day I will attempt to come on here and paste a line or two from my novel, if not to prove I'm writing, but to entice future readers. :)

Here's todays: "Stop playing dumb, Ty. You know what I'm talking about, and it's not food. We basically just signed a deal with the devil. Actually, devils."

Who else is participating in NaNoWriMo! Please keep me updated on your progress as well! For those who want to follow me on the website, my username is: ksparks54.

Good luck, writers!

No comments:

Post a Comment